The CPB John Holland Samsung JV partnership were awarded the Westconnex M4 East contract in 2016. Seven kilometres in total length, the M4 East joined the M4 Widening at Homebush Bay Drive and provides a 5.5km tunnel with three lanes in each direction from the M4 at North Strathfield to Parramatta Road and the City West Link, Haberfield. Major work commenced in 2016 and the M4 East opened to traffic in 2019.
Scope of works included the construction of
- 400m of 375mm PVC sewer
- 80m micro-tunnel underneath the M4
- 2 x 500mm auger bores approx. 60m each
- Cast in situ DTC manholes in Homebush
- 600m of 225mm PVC sewer
- Cast in situ DTC manholes and vents at Haberfield
- 14m vent-shaft in Haberfield
- 60m of 200mm directional drill underneath wattle St, Haberfield
- Connections into existing pipework
- CCTV, air test, vacuum testing to Sydney Water standards
The complexities of the job included working around live traffic, traffic switches, pedestrian management, working in and around high voltage electricity, high pressure gas and fibre optic cables, live sewer and watermains, night works and working onsite around other contractors.